Skip to content

HoodMart Blog

Avoiding Weeks of Lost Business from Preventable Kitchen Fires

Fire Damage

Avoiding kitchen fires is imperative in the restaurant business. One kitchen fire can close down a business for weeks, if not worse. Consider a recent article for Stuff titled “Overnight kitchen fire closes popular Auckland restaurant closed for four weeks.”

The author of the article writes, “A kitchen fire at a popular central Auckland restaurant has forced owners to close the doors for four weeks. Fire crews turned out for the fire at O'Connell Street Bistro about 3.53am on Wednesday morning. The bistro, located on the corner of Shortland and O'Connell streets, has won many industry awards and scored rave reviews from international publications including New York Times. On Wednesday afternoon, owner Chris Upton said the restaurant would be reopened in four weeks, following renovations. ‘The kitchen sustained considerable fire damage and there is smoke damage to the dining room,’ he said in a statement. ‘But thanks to the fantastic efforts of the city's firefighters in getting the blaze under control so quickly, it is expected the restaurant will be closed for around four weeks while we get the kitchen and restaurant back up to scratch.’”

There are a number of precautions you can take. Consider a recent article for the Columbus Dispatch titled “Experts: Calm, quick thinking can reduce injuries from kitchen fires.” Bruce Walton of the Columbus Dispatch writes, “Joseph Williams was making stuffed mozzarella yucca balls on his stove when the grease in his pan caught fire. The Columbus Arts & Technology Academy Spanish teacher said he saw in the movie ‘Gone in 60 Seconds’ that a grease fire can be extinguished by pouring baking soda on it. But he ran out of baking soda, and then sugar, and the fire still burned. When Williams, 26, tried to take the pan outside, grease poured down his right arm. ‘I just felt my hand ignite and I remember screaming,’ Williams said. Williams covered the burn with snow and sought help. He was treated at Ohio State University's Wexner Medical Center. About a third of visitors to Wexner's Burn Center in 2015 sustained injuries from scalding water, food or grease in the kitchen. Learning how to extinguish kitchen fires is key to preventing injuries, burn experts say.”

When it comes to fire suppression systems for your kitchen, we’ve got you covered at HoodMart, your one stop hood exhaust hood shop for high quality commercial and restaurant kitchen exhaust, grease, odor and fume ventilation equipment. At HoodMart, every commercial kitchen exhaust hood and ventilation system is available with pre-piped fire suppression.

Furthermore, our entire product lineup of Stainless Steel, Hybrid, Makeup-Air and Ventless Exhaust Range Hoods are guaranteed to pass all state and local codes. Our Exhaust Hoods are built to NFPA 96 Standards, are ETL Listed, and comply with UL 710 Standards.

No matter what hood exhaust and kitchen fire suppression system needs you might have, look no further than HoodMart!

Back to top ^