It is a safe bet that any item in your kitchen that you use several times a week will need to be cleaned now and then. Though the benefits of an exhaust hood for commercial kitchens and ranges are well documented, these appliances still require some maintenance over time, as they can accumulate quite a deal of grease.
Cleaning a grease filter is no day at the beach, but it will have an immediate and positive impact on the air quality of your kitchen! Here is how to clean out a greasy range hood filter:
- You will need the following things: very hot (better yet, boiling) water, dish soap (degreasing), baking soda, a non-abrasive scrub brush, and paper towels or dish cloths.
- Take the filters out from the exhaust hood�they will usually slide off easily from the hood�s underside.
- Fill up a bucket with hot water�if it is boiling hot, so much the better!
- Now you need to create your grease filter-cleaning solution. Add a long squirt of degreasing dish soap and 1/4 cup of baking soda into the hot water. Use the brush (not your hand!) to stir the mixture around. The water should be soapy when you are done.
- Submerge the greasy exhaust hood filters into the soapy water solution. Ensure that the filters are fully covered by the water!
- Let the filters soak in the hot soapy water for approximately ten minutes. After the soaking, scrub the filters with the non-abrasive scrub brush. If needed, add more dish soap to your brush to facilitate the scrubbing process.
- Rinse the filters in the hot water, thoroughly. Dry the filters off with a paper towel or a clean cloth.
- Ensure that the filters are now clean. If there is still some grease left on them, repeat the scrubbing process until it is gone.
- Place the filters back inside of the hood. Repeat this process as often as the filters get sufficiently greasy.
- Congrats! You�re done, until next time.
Relative to other home appliances, exhaust hoods take relatively little upkeep to stay functioning at a high level. Exhaust hoods make cooking from a home kitchen a much more pleasant experience, and without an exhaust hood, commercial kitchens are unthinkable!
An exhaust hood does all of the little things that help make a kitchen function. If you haven�t experienced the joy of cooking with an exhaust hood, find out what HoodMart has available for you today!