Skip to content

HoodMart Blog

More Kitchen Fires, More Closed Businesses

Business Closed

As people, we have a hard time focusing on the issues that aren’t right in front of us. This is why many people put off future planning until it’s too late.

When it comes to safety, this is especially problematic. Restaurant owners have to always take the possibility of a kitchen fire into account. If they don’t, they could be looking at crippling damage to their business, as well as injuries and even fatalities to their employers and customers.Investing in a quality fire suppression system would seem like common sense and yet, every week, there is no shortage of stories on kitchen fires.

Consider a recent article for Grub Street titled “Kitchen Fire Forces April Bloomfield’s Salvation Burger to Close for a Few Weeks.” Chris Crowley of Grub Street writes, “A kitchen fire broke out at April Bloomfield and Ken Friedman's newest restaurant, Salvation Burger, Monday night, causing guests of the restaurant and its building, the Pod Hotel, to evacuate. After the fire broke out around 7 p.m., smoke from the kitchen fire spread through 13 floors of the hotel, and it took firefighters about an hour to get it under control. While no guests or employees were hurt, a single firefighter was injured and a rep sends word that the kitchen was ‘severely damaged.’ As a result, it will close for a few weeks to allow for repairs to the kitchen.”

Meanwhile, in Bradenton, a similar situation recently occurred. Consider a recent article for the Bradenton Herald titled “Fire at Bradenton's Hurricane Grill & Wings likely started in kitchen.” Richmond Dymond of the Bradenton Herald writes, “John Leibowitz and his wife, Man Chan, were driving on Cortez Road around 4 p.m. Sunday when they suddenly saw black smoke gushing into the sky like a geyser. ‘At first we thought it was maybe a car on fire, but the closer we got we saw the Hurricane Grill & Wings was on fire,’ Leibowitz said. ‘We pulled into the parking lot and ran to the back of the building to make sure everyone was out, which they were.’ The staff of Hurricane Grill & Wings, 6510 Cortez Road, Bradenton, may have saved lives by quickly and efficiently getting all the customers out of the restaurant after it caught fire shortly before 4 p.m., said Tim Geer, a battalion chief with the Bradenton Fire Department. The flames that ended up engulfing 30 percent of the inside of the building most likely started in the kitchen area, Geer added. ‘The business was occupied, and they were busy cooking, under normal operation when the fire started,’ Geer said at 5 p.m. as he began clearing units from the scene with the fire under control.”

If you’re looking to ensure your restaurant’s safety, we’ve got you covered at HoodMart. Our fire suppression systems will ensure your kitchen doesn’t get destroyed by a random fire and other hazards. You can also take comfort in knowing every commercial kitchen exhaust hood and ventilation system is available with pre-piped fire suppression.

Check out our large selection to find the system that’s right for you.

Back to top ^