Skip to content

HoodMart Blog

The Bane of a Restaurant Owner’s Existence

Bubba Gump Shrimp Restaurant

Kitchen fires are the bane of many a restaurant owner’s existence. They can cause crippling damage and set your business back for months, years, or even permanently. Consider a recent article for the New Haven Register titled “Fire damages kitchen at Abate’s Pizza in Orange.”

Wes Duplantier of the New Haven Register writes, “Abate’s Pizza in Orange was closed Thursday after a fire broke out near the restaurant’s pizza ovens. No was hurt in the fire, but the restaurant will have to be closed until repairs are made, Fire Marshal Tim Smith said at the scene. ‘There is extensive damage in the kitchen area so they are going to be closed for some time,’ he said. Smith said the fire at Abate’s, 106 Boston Post Road, was reported at about 10 a.m. He said there were employees in the restaurant at the time. Orange firefighters arrived on scene within three minutes and found flames extending into the ceiling above the restaurant’s pizza ovens. Smith said the fire was quickly extinguished. West Haven firefighters were also called in to help at the scene, and Woodbridge firefighters provided station coverage. ‘We had two areas we had to deal with, above and below, so we needed the extra help (from West Haven),’ Smith said. Town health and building officials also responded to the scene Thursday. Smith said Abate’s would have to work with contractors and its insurance company to determine when it will reopen.” ABC 13 Eyewitness News also examines a kitchen fire in a recent article titled “FIRE DESTROYS HOUSTON'S HISTORIC CLEBURNE CAFETERIA.” The author of the article writes, “This Houston cafeteria, which is located at 3606 Bissonnet Street, has been in business at that location since 1969. The original Cleburne's cafeteria was opened in 1941 at Cleburne at Fannin. The current restaurant was started by Nick Mickelis, who came from Greece with just $2.50 in his pocket. This isn't the first time the family's restaurant has caught fire. In 1990, a fire started in the kitchen and consumed the building. Nick Mickelis' beloved paintings survived the fire and survived today's fire as well.”

When it comes to fire suppression systems for your kitchen, we’ve got you covered at HoodMart, your one stop hood exhaust hood shop for high quality commercial and restaurant kitchen exhaust, grease, odor and fume ventilation equipment. At HoodMart, every commercial kitchen exhaust hood and ventilation system is available with pre-piped fire suppression.

Furthermore, our entire product lineup of Stainless Steel, Hybrid, Makeup-Air and Ventless Exhaust Range Hoods are guaranteed to pass all state and local codes. Our Exhaust Hoods are built to NFPA 96 Standards, are ETL Listed, and comply with UL 710 Standards.

No matter what hood exhaust and kitchen fire suppression system needs you might have, look no further than HoodMart!

Back to top ^